About IARCHS forums Antique Radio Discussion Forum Open Conversation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    THE-Collector
    Keymaster

We would like to get more interactive as a club, to aid that this Forum has been created.  For now we are going to try to just have one forum.  If this becomes cumbersome we will split off a couple new topics. Anything you want to ask or comment about is fair game.  Just remember this forum is only available to registered members, so talk your friends into registering.

RickE
    Participant

After a long time I finally got over here since I applied for membership.

I started out in AM-DX when I was in high school using a radio found in a trash can. By placing the radio near a sewer pipe in the basement I got excellent reception. Later on I got involved in computers. I have quite a few but started to get tired of that hobby.

I got the vintage radio bug! There is a mystique about glowing tubes in the near-darkness at night. My first radio is a Zenith 7S363 which was repaired and functional. My next radio is a Philco 37-665B that was repaired and the cabinet refinished. I have a Philco 116-122 chassis sitting in a repair shop since 03/2018. I have a period cathedral cabinet that is waiting for the chassis. It needs refinished. Upstairs in my closet is a Zenith 8S145 chassis that needs a refit and cabinet. I’m tempted to have a cabinet recreated. My last radio is an 11S474 that the rubber wiring shorted out part of the chassis. The power supply still works!

Thank you for allowing my to vent my spleen. I love my radios and use my 37 Philco most of the time. The sound is without parallel!

Rick Ethridge
    Plattsmouth, NE 68048

RickE
    Participant

In a week my Philco 116B-2 will be returning home repaired and completed. I still need to clean/refurbish the tuning mechanism. The coarse tuning feels like sand got into it. BTW Both BCB and shortwave have been extremely variable. I hope Mr. Sun will start becoming more active!

Rick Ethridge

RickE
    Participant

My Philco 116B returned from the shop around two months ago. The cabinet then went to the repair shop and was nicely refinished. Unfortunately, while the cabinet turned out nicely, the chassis was not properly repaired and ran barely. My old friend Walter, who redid my Philco 37-665B, was finally able to straighten out the circuits and is in process at this writing. Speaking of the younger Philco, I needed to have the shadow tuning indicator lamp replaced. My Zenith 7000-1 needed it’s band selector sprayed with cleaner to restore the shortwave reception. When the 116 returns then the Zenith 11S474 will go into the shop to fix rubber-covered wiring that shorted. With that completed I have three radio projects that will return all my remaining radios to service.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.